Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wat r u tryng 2 tell me?

I've had it! This whole outbreak of 'text talk' and bad spelling and grammar. Wasn't this one of the first things we were taught growing up? Kids AND adults these days cannot spell!
I get onto Facebook first thing in the morning and see so many statuses saying things like, "Tamaro will b a grate day! I dnt no wat 2 do 2day!" ARGH! It takes me so much longer to just read it then it would for them to type it out correctly.
People are so lazy that they don't want to spell out a word, they think that b=be or 2=to, two or too (although they probably can't tell the difference between the three to begin with). They think that taking out vowels will save time. What becomes wat. Love becomes Luv. Because becomes cuz. Dumb becomes dum. I could go on and on but my brain is already starting to bleed.
Then there's the idiots who ADD letters or keep the same amount, but switch letters out. I don't know how this saves time. Like becomes lyke. For becomes phor. Everyone now looks like an idiot first grader all of a sudden. And we all know those first graders are pretty dumb.
Aside from the terrible spelling, people still cannot figure out the proper use of grammar. I just don't understand it. To me, it's SO easy to figure out the difference between there, their and they're or two, to and too. What is SO difficult about it? Were you too busy texting during English class? Back in my day, I had to physically write out notes! Man, it was so much work.
Looking back, I can kind of understand why it started out that way. Back when we all had the same cell phone keyboard, in order to text a 'y' in a word, we had to hit 9 three times. Then if you accidentally hit it an extra time, ARGH, you would have to start over. Yes, it was probably easier to text: Wnt 2 go 2 the store wit me?
But now everybody and their mother has a blackberry or a cell phone with a full qwerty keyboard. It is NOT necessary anymore. You want C? Hit the C button. You want Y? Guess what, you just have to hit it once! What a concept! Plus people aren't just using the 'text talk' in texts anymore, it's now transferred over to the internet. WHY? I'm lazy too, but that's just ridiculous! Trying to keep up-to-date with some people on facebook has given me a need to self-medicate.
However, I will admit, I just recently learned how to spell two seemingly easy words. I have been misspelling dying and lying for years. YEARS. I was so ashamed when I finally realized where I went wrong. However, I can defend my thought process. To "dye" is to change the color of something, so why would 'nearing death' be spelled dying?! It should be dieing! And you tell a 'lie', so it should be lieing. But I know...I'm wrong and I have learned my lesson. And now I can continue bitching about the other idiots who can't spell. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Plus, last night on facebook, I was using such big words that I had never used before. I honestly had to google the word to make sure I was using it it in the right context. I was. Because I'm smart. I just didn't realize I knew those words or could find a reason to use them in a sentence. I just amaze myself sometimes with how amazing I am. I was taught well.
Which brings me to an epiphany I had. I think our problem these days is that we don't learn from TV anymore. As a kid, I grew up with the classics. Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, PBS. Now kids have stupid nickelodeon where colorful characters just burp and fart and make hamburgers under the sea. What good is that? The episodes aren't 'brought to you by the letter R" nor do they feature a cool cat in a cardigan feeding his fish and playing with his trolley, not that trolley you sicko, to teach you how crayons are made. Oh no. That's not entertaining anymore. All the fat, and dumb, kids want to do now is play Wii, as long as it's a sitting game, too much activity is hard on their already clogged by processed foods heart. Mmmm pass me the cheese in a can. Barf.
I think our other problem now is the fact that nobody is allowed to beat their children anymore. We're totally missing out on the benefits of that one. You go out now and there are unruly children running amuck, breaking crap, mouthing off and using bad spelling on top of it. I say pull their bottoms down and give them a swift beating, heck I'll hold their arms. Nothing would make me learn to spell more than an ass beating from my mom!
So there you have it. My first dose of demotivation. Although I'm hoping this will push you morons to reread what you type and learn something once in a while, I now feel like I'm under pressure not to make a mistake. I hope you do too. Cuz if u dnt start lrning how 2 spell i will find u n kik ur but.
Wow, that's hard.
That's what she said.
I can't help myself.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!
    And I think I figured out how to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you tell them! I don't mind if some things are shortened in text messages, like saying 'r u coming over l8r', that's alright,I can figure that out and I do it to save character space and therefore money. And I don't have a QWERTY phone either. But I hate when things become 'disenvoweled', just dropping vowels and then having to spend forever to trying to decode the whole thing!

    I also hate when letters are added onto words. Like people who type 'my' as 'mii' or 'sexy' as 'sexaii'. What the hell is the point of that?!

    ReplyDelete